If June and October are the most popular wedding months, then January is by far the biggest wedding planning month. So far this month we have logged in about 7-10 tastings per week. It is a dizzy-ing flurry of wedding cake planning overload! Fun though!
These are the trends we are seeing for 2010:
- Traditional tiered wedding cakes are still the favorite of the majority of our customers. The trends within this category are simple and elegant designs, fresh flowers, square tiers, and color.
- Unique Wedding Cake Flavors that go beyond the traditional. We are seeing an increase in requests for flavors such as tiramisu, strawberry shortcake, pumpkin and red velvet. For example, using flavor combinations such as yellow cake, vanilla buttercream, and fresh strawberries recreates the flavors of strawberry shortcake and provides guests with a classy flavorful cake and dessert.
- Sheet cake! In this economic climate everyone is concerned with keeping costs down but maintaining a high level of quality and service. Almost 100% of weddings with greater that 150 people are opting for smaller presentation cakes with sheet cake to make up the balance of the servings.
- Cupcakes are hot! Not only are they incredibly trendy right now, they are also economical and provide a lot of options for set-up, display, and serving.
- Individual cakes at each table are also a popular choice. They can serve double duty as both center piece and dessert.
- Dessert buffets with individual bite size desserts.
- Groom's cakes are gaining in popularity, whether as a dessert at the rehearsal dinner or as an additional cake at the reception.
Stay tuned for future posts detailing each of these trends!